Last revised ON January 3, 2022
1. BEL’S COMMITMENT TO PRIVACY
To best meet our consumers’ expectation and forge with them the strongest links possible, Bel Brands USA, Inc. often needs to collect Personal Data via different means. Consumers are assured that BEL strives to safeguard the confidentiality of all personal information shared with us.
We undertake not to violate your privacy and we seek to ensure transparency and security while collecting and storing your personal data.
We may receive your PII from other sources than this website: if you choose to connect your social media account to the Site, certain Personal Information from your social media account may be shared with us including PII that is part of your profile or your friends’ profiles.
By “Personal Data” or “PII” as used herein we mean any collected information relating to an individual that enables us to identify our consumers directly or indirectly.
Before you give us any Personal Data, we ask that you to read carefully this Policy.
BEL will use your Personal Data for marketing purposes. Your consent will be asked before any collection of personal information and for the purpose of such collection.
Collection of Your Personal Identifiable Information (“PII”) and Other Personal Information
We have developed this Site to provide a unique and entertaining experience for users, without requiring them to submit any more PII than is necessary to participate in particular activities which may be offered, or to use the Site effectively. We do not require users to register or submit PII in order to visit the Site. Most activities on our Site can be performed without supplying PII.
When we ask for PII we will not require anyone to disclose more PII than we believe is reasonably necessary to participate in an activity. At times, users may be asked to provide non-PII such as your first name, age, gender, zip code, city, and/or state of residence. We will not knowingly ask for, or accept, PII from persons under the age of 18.
At the time we gather any of your PII, we will give you the opportunity to opt-out of allowing us to use your PII for other purposes, such as sending you future emails or advertising or sharing your PII with business partners or other advertisers. When you opt-out of any specific use, we will not use your PII for that purpose. However, if you opt-out, we may still use your PII for internal purposes, or as may be necessary to administer the Site, for example, sharing that data with those persons or entities who administer the Site. Your PII may further still be used to comply with applicable law, for example, but not limited to, comply with valid legal process such as a search warrant, subpoena or court order; and to report sweepstakes and contest winnings as required by law. And it may be used in special cases when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify or contact you, or bring legal action against you if, for example, you may be causing injury to, or interference with our Site’s or company’s rights or property, or other users of the Site, whether your actions are intentional or unintentional. Further, your PII may be shared with any successors and assignees we may have.
If you wish to change your decision to ‘opt-out’ or to ‘opt-in’, as applicable, you can contact us at https://www.bel-group.com/en/contact-us/
CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY ACT (“CCPA”) RIGHTS AND CHOICES
California Residents have certain rights in connection with the personal information we collect about you (subject to exceptions under applicable law):
The right to access and disclosure. You may have the right to request, twice during a twelve-month period, the following information about the personal information we have collected about you during the past 12 months:
- the categories and specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you;
- the categories of sources from which we collected the personal information;
- the business or commercial purpose for which we collected or sold the personal information;
- the categories of third parties with whom we shared the personal information; and
- the categories of personal information that we sold or disclosed for a business purpose, and the categories of third parties to whom we sold or disclosed that information for a business purpose.
The right to deletion. You may have the right to request that we delete the personal information we have collected from you.
Certain information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law. We need certain types of information so that we can provide our Services to you. If you ask us to delete it, you may no longer be able to access or use our Services.
How to exercise your access and deletion rights.
If you wish to exercise your rights, please:
- send a letter with your name, mailing address Customer Service Bel Brands USA 30 South Wacker Drive Suite 3000 Chicago, IL 60606
- or call us at 1-800-272-1224
- or email us at [email protected]
- and mention that you are a California resident
For security purposes, we will verify your identity — in part by requesting certain information from you — when you request to exercise your California privacy rights. For instance, you may need to provide your name and email address. To request that we provide you with the specific pieces of personal information we have from you or to delete personal information we have collected from you, we may also need to ask you for additional information to verify your identity.
Once we have verified your identity (and your agent, as applicable), we will respond to your request as appropriate:
- Where you have requested the categories of personal information that we have collected about you, we will respond by email providing such categories.
- Where you have requested specific pieces of personal information, we will provide the information you have requested, except where not permitted under applicable law or otherwise exempted by the CCPA. For instance, we may not disclose government ID or financial account number as such disclosure may create an unreasonable risk to your personal information, your account with us, or our business systems.
- Where you have requested that we delete personal information that we have collected from you, we will delete, deidentify or aggregate any information about you that is not necessary for the purposes indicated above. Certain information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law.
- If we are unable to complete your requests fully for any of the reasons above, we will provide you additional information about the reasons that we could not comply with your request.
The right to nondiscrimination. We will not deny, charge different prices for, or provide a different level of quality of goods or services if you choose to exercise these rights.
The right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information. You have the right to opt out of the sale of your personal information. California law broadly defines “sale” such that it may include allowing third parties to receive certain information, such as IP address and/or browsing behavior, to deliver targeted advertising.
If you would like to opt out, you may do so as outlined on the following page: Do Not Sell My Personal Information
You may also designate an agent to make requests to exercise your rights under CCPA as described above. We will take steps to verify both (1) the identity of the person seeking to exercise their rights as listed above and (2) that your agent has been authorized to make a request on your behalf by providing us with a copy of a signed written authorization or a copy of a power of attorney.
3. PROTECTION OF CONSUMERS’ PERSONAL DATA: PRINCIPLES
- Legitimacy: PII will be collected for specific, explicit and legitimate purposes; Processing will not involve sensitive data (e.g. racial or ethnic origin, political, philosophical or religious opinion, union membership of persons, health or sex life, offenses, sentences and security measures).
- Relevance: Collected data will be suitable, relevant and non-excessive with regard to the purposes for which it is collected;.
- Accuracy: The data will be accurate, complete and, if applicable, up-to-date;
- Transparency: When collecting your Personal Data, you will be provided with any relevant information and notification regarding their collection and processing (especially as to the purpose and recipients of such information.)
- Storage: PII will be kept for a time period that does not exceed the period required for the purposes for which the PII is collected and processed;
- Consent: The person concerned must have given his consent to the processing of his/her PII;
- Confidentiality & Security: We will strive to assure confidentiality and security of all collected Personal Data by implementing reasonable technical measures
This Policy is applicable to the processing of all Personal Data provided within the context of our relationship with our consumers.
5. TYPE OF COLLECTED PERSONAL DATA
Depending on the kind of business relationship we have with you, we may need to ask you information about you and/or family members such as:
- contact information (last name, first name, phone number, e-mail, …)
- personal information (date of birth, …)
- information about your family (number of household members, age, …)
- consumption habits as regards cheese / dairy products
BEL considers that parents should be informed of the relation between our company and our brands and their young children. That is why BEL will ask for parents’/guardians’ e-mail addresses of Internet users under 13 in order to copy them on every e-mail involving their children’s personal data. At any time, parents/guardians will be entitled on request to have access to personal data concerning their child and ask for their modification or deletion from our consumer’s database by contacting our consumer service.
6. TIME OF COLLECTION OF PERSONAL DATA and Non-PII
Your Personal Data may be collected at different points and in particular:
- When contacting our customer service (questions, claims, …)
- When browsing our BEL websites
Registration or input of PII will also be required to participate in activities such as sweepstakes, contests, specific promotional activities, surveys, or e-commerce (should it be introduced on the Site). If PII is requested for participation in an activity, you cannot participate without disclosing the requested PII.
From time to time, we may also ask you to provide us with non-PII which does not allow us to identify you by email address, full name or full address. We may use this information for internal purposes, or for creating reports for ourselves and third party advertisers and partners.
7. PURPOSE FOR COLLECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
- Answer every request you may have from our customer service
- Improve our products notably thanks to a better understanding of your needs and desires
- Download discount vouchers
- Send you newsletters, promotions or offers from partners. At any time, you can cancel your subscription to these newsletters by clicking on the provided link at the bottom of these e-mails.
- Secure and improve your use of BEL websites (browsing, security of data,…)
- Be in compliance with federal, state and local regulations
Use of PII
We may use PII in sweepstakes, contests or promotional activity (i) to register you for those activities, to verify that you comply with the published rules and to notify you if you are a winner; (ii) for coupon, premium or prize delivery; (iii) for notification of special offers; and (iv) to ensure that we comply with all applicable laws. The PII you disclose for these and similar activities may be shared with third parties, such as those who may administer the activity for us, and shipping companies who may deliver a prize or premium. We will inform you at the time we are collecting the PII that such collection is a requirement for participation.
We may also use your PII for the following purposes: (v) to personalize and enhance our Site and your website experience; (vi) to send you personalized information about our Site via email; (vii) to send you advertising or promotional material from us, our advertisers or business partners; and (viii) to contact you for feedback regarding us, our advertisers or business partners.
Should you respond to a particular offer from our business partners or advertisers we may also use your PII to provide a report to our advertisers or business partners that tells them who responded to a particular offer. Further if you accept an offer contained in, for example, an email we may provide the advertiser or business partner with the PII necessary to fulfill that offer to you.
Should your PII be requested by any of our business partners or advertisers for their direct use in advertising or marketing (when the contact with you would come from them and not from us on their behalf) you will, in each case, be given the opportunity to remove yourself from the list.
Your PII may also be shared with those persons or entities that administer our Site.
Your PII will only be shared with administrators, business partners or advertisers for a particular purpose and they will not be permitted to use it for any unauthorized purpose.
Use of Non-PII
Non-PII is data such as first name, zip code, age, gender, product and promotional preferences and household characteristics like presence of children or income bracket. Your non-PII may be aggregated and used for our internal purposes or may be shared with third parties for any lawful purpose, without your permission. No third party will know who you are as a result of the use of your non-PII.
8. SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In some cases, we will need to transfer your personal data to internal and external recipients:
- Internal recipients are authorized persons, including without limitation:
– IT Services
– Marketing services
- External recipients, including without limitation:
– External service providers: third-party IT service, call centers, printers, … Commercial partners, management of promotional operations companies.
We may also be required to release your personal data to government authorities if legally requested by law.
9. SAFETY AND SECURITY
Through appropriate technical measures, BEL strives to prevent accidental or malevolent Personal Data loss, destruction, unauthorized access or disclosure.
If you share your computer or use a computer that is accessed by the general public, remember to sign off and close your browser window when you have finished your session. This will help to ensure that others cannot access your personal information. We take steps to help ensure that all information provided by you, whether PII or non-PII, is treated securely. No data transmission over the Internet, however, can be guaranteed to be totally secure. While we try to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us. You use the Site, and provide us with personal information, at your own risk. To the extent reasonably necessary to protect a user’s safety, we may collect his or her name, address, and/or email address. To protect our security, to protect us against liability, or as required by law, we may collect a user’s name and email address.
PII collected pursuant to this provision will not be used for any other purpose.
Our Use of Passive Information
- Session cookies can be used to help a user’s browser navigate a website more smoothly and may appear if the user comes from a website with which the subsequent website has some relationship (e.g., a website of an affiliated company) and can give helpful information.
11. DATA STORAGE BY BEL
Your Personal Data will not be stored for a time period exceeding the time required by the purpose of their collection and according to applicable law.
12. ACCESS AND MODIFICATION/DELETION
Review and Modification/Deletion of Personal Information: All users may review their PII at any time. If you would like to review, delete or modify this information, please contact us at:
Mail: Customer Service
Bel Brands USA, Inc.
30 South Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606
We will use reasonable efforts to comply with your requests subject to legal restrictions. Be aware that there may be residual information which we may not be able to alter or delete from our systems and archives.
Email: [email protected]
Mail: Customer Service
Bel Brands USA, Inc.
30 South Wacker Drive
13. COLLECTION OF THIRD PERSON PERSONAL DATA
Some of our websites can offer you the chance to send a link to our website’s page to third-parties. In such case, we will have to collect your and the third-party’s e-mail addresses.
Every e-mail address collected in such case will only be used for that purpose and will be deleted right afterwards.
This Policy will change periodically and we recommend that you read it regularly.
Co-Branded Micro Sites
Web pages and/or micro websites may be included within our Site and may be co-branded with third party names, logos, and/or properties, and are operated and maintained by us. While such third parties are sponsors of these web pages or micro websites, they do not share in any PII collected within those web pages or micro websites.
Third Party Advertisements
Should we open e-commerce on the Site, purchases from our Site may require disclosure of your PII, your credit card information and information about the name and address of the person receiving the purchases. The credit card information may be subject to verification by the issuing Credit Card Company or other company. Sales and shipping records will also be generated and maintained. Unless you give us permission at the time we collect such information, however, we will not use this information for any purpose except the fulfillment and record keeping of the transaction.
International User Notice: The Site is intended for use exclusively by residents of the United States of America. Persons outside the United States should not, therefore, disclose Personally Identifiable Information on this Site.
Do not send us, under any circumstance, any sensitive PII (e.g., information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health or medical condition, criminal background or trade union membership) through the Site or otherwise.